Volunteer Coordinator POSTING (parental leave 2023)
Compassionate Ottawa (CO) is a volunteer-driven community organization that aims to build community capacity to care for one another, especially in times of serious illness, grief, loss, and caregiving. Compassionate Ottawa is seeking to hire a part time, bilingual Volunteer Coordinator. The position offers an excellent opportunity to play a leading role in working collaboratively with volunteers to support activity in CO’s current program priority areas.
As a result of a parental leave, Compassionate Ottawa is seeking to fill a part time (15 hours/week), oneyear contract, bilingual Volunteer Coordinator. Located in Ottawa, the incumbent will oversee volunteer program management, including recruiting, orienting, matching and scheduling volunteers for public facing workshops; with a focus on underserved communities. This contract is for $24,000 (based on a full-time annual salary of $60,000) with a start date of early January 2024 and is for a 12-month period, with the possibility of an extension. Preferred availability (weekdays only) is 5 hours per day x 3 days.
The Volunteer Coordinator will be expected to work remotely and in-person, attend meetings in various
communities, and occasionally attend evening events.
Current priorities include building on the current successful volunteer program to increase the number of volunteers, focusing on younger volunteers and those who reflect the culturally diverse makeup of the City of Ottawa.
The incumbent will support the overall organizational goals including expanding efforts in the areas noted above as well as strengthening communications and ensuring evaluation of its programs.
• Volunteer Program Management
• Support staff team and volunteer team leads with administrative duties
• Support workshop evaluation and reporting activities
Complete job description is available upon request.
• College or university degree in a related field or 5 years equivalent experience
• Demonstrated experience and ability with volunteer management, including but not limited to ability to work effectively with volunteers from all backgrounds, including broad age-range, gender identity and diverse ethno-cultural groups. Experience with volunteer recruitment, orientation and training.
• Demonstrated experience working with volunteers within a non-profit sector
• Experience in volunteer program development and evaluation
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong ability to work as a team member, both staff and volunteers
• Strong ability to work independently
• Strong interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills
• Sound judgment and effective problem solving
• Strong time management and priority-setting skills
• Outstanding administrative skills including orientation to detail and ability to meet deadlines
• Knowledge of Ottawa and its many diverse communities
• Demonstrated ability to effectively manage relationships
• Ability to work respectively with diverse stakeholder groups
• Requires flexible hours to occasionally include evening and weekend work
• Advanced computer and internet skills
• Valid drivers’ license and access to a vehicle an asset
• Fluency in speaking English and French; strong written proficiency in both languages is an asset.
Send a cover letter and a resume to applywithCO@gmail.com by 5:00 pm ET on Monday, November 13th, 2023.
Compassionate Ottawa is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion, and through all our work, will contribute to dismantling the systemic oppression, racism and exclusion of all groups that experience discrimination. We are a learning organization, aware that striving for inclusion is a process. We are reaching out to communities to help us learn to be truly inclusive.
We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted. Interviews will take place in-person in Ottawa on November 29th, 30th and/or December 1st, 2023.