Program Coordinator POSTING (parental leave 2024)
Compassionate Ottawa (CO) is a volunteer-driven community organization that aims to build community capacity to care for one another, especially in times of serious illness, grief, loss, and caregiving.
Compassionate Ottawa is seeking to hire a part-time, bilingual Program Coordinator. The position offers an excellent opportunity to play a leading role in working collaboratively with volunteers to support activity in CO’s current program priority areas.
As a result of a parental leave, Compassionate Ottawa is seeking to fill a part-time (30 hours/4 days per week) contract for our bilingual Program Coordinator position. Located in Ottawa, the incumbent will implement community outreach, support public facing events and workshops, manage our volunteer program, as well as build relationships with new communities that Compassionate Ottawa does not currently serve. This contract is for $48,000 (based on a full-time annual salary of $60,000) with a start date of March 2024 and is for a 10-month period, with the possibility of an extension.
The Program Coordinator will be expected to work remotely and in-person, attend meetings in various communities, and occasionally attend evening events. The Program Coordinator is responsible for the recruitment, orientation and training of volunteer workshop facilitators, as well as the liaising and outreach to community groups and organizations. Current priorities include raising awareness through facilitating conversations about life and death, engaging and empowering diverse communities throughout the City of Ottawa using stories and workshops, such as Advance Care Planning and Grief and Bereavement.
The incumbent will support the overall organizational goals including expanding efforts in the areas noted above as well as strengthening communications; ensuring evaluation of its programs and expanding into new areas such as supporting young caregivers or youth who have experienced loss.
- Liaise with existing community partners, outreach to new community organizations to form new partnerships, including underserved, marginalized and diverse communities
- Support public-facing Events/Workshop/Programming
- Administrative duties
- Administer workshop evaluation and reporting activities
- Volunteer program management, in collaboration with the Program Manager
Complete job description is available upon request.
- College or university degree in a related field or 5 years equivalent experience
- Demonstrated experience and ability with volunteer management, including but not limited to ability to work effectively with volunteers from all backgrounds, including broad age-range, gender identity and diverse ethno-cultural groups. Experience with volunteer recruitment, orientation and training.
- Demonstrated experience working with community groups within a non-profit sector
- Experience in community development
- Experience in community engagement
- Experience in developing and maintaining partnerships and collaborations
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Facilitation experience
- Knowledge and/or experience in the field of end-of-life care, dying, death, grief, and loss. Comfortable speaking on these issues in public settings
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong ability to work as a team member, both staff and volunteers
- Strong ability to work independently
- Strong interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills
- Sound judgment and effective problem solving
- Strong time management and priority-setting skills
- Outstanding administrative skills including orientation to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Knowledge of Ottawa and its many diverse communities
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage relationships
- Ability to work respectively with diverse stakeholder groups
- Requires flexible hours to occasionally include evening and weekend work
- Advanced computer and internet skills
- Valid drivers’ license and access to a vehicle an asset
Send a cover letter and a resume to applywithCO@gmail.com by January 29th at 5:00 pm.
Compassionate Ottawa is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion, and through all our work, will contribute to dismantling the systemic oppression, racism and exclusion of all groups that experience discrimination. We are a learning organization, aware that striving for inclusion is a process. We are reaching out to communities to help us learn to be truly inclusive.
We welcome applications from all qualified candidates. However, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.